Day 2 of homeschooling and the natives are getting restless. By 4 pm, they've gone full Lord of the Flies in here. At least 3 more weeks of this plus a shelter-in-place order means we have the much needed part 2 of our resource round-up for parents with kids at home. This one includes some PE ideas for when you're stuck inside due to weather as well as music, reading and writing resources and even a little something for us parents too!
Reading and Writing
1. ABC Mouse - I'm jumping for joy because I was hoping they would offer this for free. I completed the sign up and it worked, no need to enter your credit card info. Use code AOFLUNICEF. This will also work for Adventure Academy (3rd-8th grade) and Reading IQ (preschool-2nd grade).
2. Scholastic Learn at Home - Scholastic has pulled through awesome free at home lessons for pre-k through grades 6+. Each lesson has a focus and includes videos, books to read, activities you can do and more.
3. Starfall.com - The Starfall app has always been free and if you haven't checked it out already now is a great time. Catchy songs and fun games teach kids the basics of reading, writing and even math too! You'll catch yourself singing about vowels before you know it.
1. Cosmic Kids Yoga - Fun and free yoga classes created for kids. As always, please monitor your kids when letting them watch something on youtube.
2. Go Noodle - Wow, oodles and oodles of videos of dance parties, yoga, movement games and other great stuff to keep kids active if you're stuck indoors.
3. Avengers Academy - This one is for kids who are a little older and will enjoy some legit workout moves made fun. My kids at 5 and 7 love it.
1. Garage Band - Check out this fully equipped music studio app. Your kids will love playing around and creating on here.
History and Cooking
1. Baking History - This looks so awesome! Free virtual classes on their Facebook page that teach both history and you get to bake something! You can check out the class ahead of time to see if you have the ingredients needed.
Virtual Field Trips
1. Over 30 virtual field trips - So many great options (like exploring Mars!) with links!
2. Adventures in Familyhood 20 virtual field trips - They have links to everything from art museums to aquariums to the Great Wall of China and even some suggestions about activities to go with the trip.
Something for the parents (because darn it, we deserve it right now!)
1. Les Mills Workout Videos - Free workout videos and some meditations.
2. Down Dog App - All of their apps (Yoga, Yoga for Beginners, HIIT, Barre, and 7 Minute Workout) are free until April 1st so check them out.
3. Headspace - Headspace is now free to all Heatlhcare professionals in the US.
4. Planet Fitness - They are livestreaming fitness classes for free on the Facebook page everyday at 4 pm PT.
5. Peleton Workout App - Peloton is offering an extended 90-day free trial to its at-home workouts app. The in-app workouts don’t require you own any Peloton equipment, and include yoga, HIIT, stretching, and other categories
6. News Publications that have removed their paywall
Comments will be approved before showing up.