Whether your kids are home for spring break this week or their schools are closed due to Covid-19, we've rounded up the best free resources (both online and off) to get you through it without losing your mind. We'll have a second post tomorrow featuring reading and writing and PE/Music and Spanish resources.
First Some Offline Ideas
Lego 30 Day Challenge
25 Non Screen Activities from pobble.com
Science & Math
1. Khan Academy - I signed both my kids up for this free academy last night (you only need to enter a parent's email) and they played on the app today. Focus is on math for younger kids, but lots of good subjects for older kids.
2. Science Mom & Math Dad - This daily show will feature a science lesson, math activities, interactive games, and stories. The lessons are aimed at ages 7-12 but younger kids may enjoy it. They are livestreaming on Facebook @thesciencemom each day or you can rewatch on their youtube channel.
3. Mystery Science -My kids watch this at school and love the videos with Mystery Doug. Many have easy activities you can do as well with the supplies at there to print out.
4. Zoos and Aquariums - Many zoos are offering online safaris. The Cincinnati Zoo is doing a daily safari on Facebook live at 3 pm ET daily. The San Diego Zoo has a ton of live animal cams to check out. Monterey Bay Aquarium still has their webcams available for animal viewing (including my personal favorite the penguins!).
5. National Parks Tour - This article from Totally the Bomb outlines 33 National Parks you can tour from the comfort of your own home.
Storytimes & Drawing
1. Lunchtime Doodles with Mo Willems - If your kids are anything like mine they are obsessed with The Pigeon and the Gerald & Piggy books. Now they can doodle along with author Mo Willems every weekday at lunchtime (1 pm ET). Or you can rewatch the videos later.
2. Live Storytime with Pete the Cat Author James Dean - Head over to Pete the Cat's Instagram Live on March 17th at 12 pm ET for a live storytime with author James Dean.
3. Storyline Online - Free children's literacy resource featuring the world's best storytellers reading books aloud. Each video includes an activity guide with lessons for K-5 students to do at home.
4. Atlantic White Shark Conservancy Daily Story time - How cool is this? Join them on facebook live daily at 10 am ET for shark story time.
5. Squiggles & Scribbles with Ben Clanton, author of Narwhal and Jelly - Ben says, "Stuck at home? Want to draw with me and talk about waffles and mermicorns? I'm doing two FB LIVE sessions this next week.
March 18th at 11 am PST (2 pm EST)
March 20th at 2 pm PST (5 PM EST)